When you’re having problems sleeping, the only thing you want is to drift off into peaceful, uninterrupted sleep. You could use an over-the-counter sleep aide, but you can also try one of these more natural methods to help you fall asleep. They are considered to be the top sleep boosters and one of them is sure to ease you into dreamland.
- One of the best things you can do to enable you to get the sleep you need is to follow a bedtime routine. Go to bed at the same time every night and get up at the same time each morning. Your body will fall into a rhythm, which may make falling asleep easier each night. Even if you’re tempted to change your sleeping patterns on the weekend, avoid that temptation. It may take until Wednesday for your body to get back into the groove of sleep.
- Avoid watching television prior to going to bed. Television stimulates the mind and that’s not conducive to getting to sleep at a decent time. And you definitely don’t want to have a television in the bedroom.
- Drink some herbal tea prior to bedtime. This will calm your nerves and enable you to relax. Certain herbal teas such as chamomile, lemon balm, and valerian are good for helping you fall asleep.
- Warm milk has long been given to people to help them sleep. Rather than having plain warm milk, add a teaspoon or so of honey to it. The warm milk relaxes you and the honey has recuperative properties.
- You may have been told to avoid eating prior to bedtime. However, some research indicates that having a high-carbohydrate snack can help. You may want to eat two cups of air-popped popcorn, fresh strawberries over a slice of angel food cake, half of a whole-wheat English muffin with honey drizzled over it, or a baked potato with salsa. These foods contain nutrients which help induce sleep.
- Take a bath as part of your bedtime routine. Use two to three drops of lavender, chamomile, rose, or sandalwood essential oil in the water. Not only will the oils help you relax, you’ll also smell nice when you do drift off to sleep. Combine a couple of the essential oils to create your own special mixture.
- Put a few drops of lavender or ylang ylang essential oil directly on your pillow case if you’re having an especially difficult time falling asleep. These essential oils will help you fall asleep quicker and sleep more restfully than without them.
- If you have a lot of things weighing down on your mind, keep a notebook and pen near your bed. This will enable you to write down everything you’re afraid you’ll forget during sleep, will help you plan your day, and give you a place to jot down things in the middle of the night if you happen to wake up. Once you have written down everything you think you need to remember, it will allow your brain to relax and you’ll be asleep before you know it.
You may be tempted to reach for an over-the-counter sleep aide if you’re having problems falling asleep. These may be good occasionally, but they can become addictive. Using one of these natural top sleep boosters will bring you the sleep you need without using unnatural or synthetic means.