The sun is out and the heat is on. With global warming becoming more intense, bearing the heat during summer time can be difficult. Babies are no exception to the discomforts brought about by hot weather.
Babies are especially vulnerable to heat rashes, sunburns and even a heatstroke. Their skin is more sensitive and their body temperature is higher than adults. Added attention is needed to help a baby stay cool and comfortable on hot days.
Since babies can’t verbalize their discomfort, parents must be sensitive to their child’s behavior. Here are some things that help keep your baby cool on hot summer days.
• Water. Perspiration is the main reason for dehydration on a hot weather. Replenish fluid loss by supplementing feeds with water. Breast-fed babies may need to feed more often, though at shorter periods, to get more fluid intake. Regularly check for wet diapers to make sure your baby is well-hydrated.
• Light clothing. Dress your baby in light and breathable clothing. Short-sleeved tops paired with shorts or a diaper cover are suitable for summer. Make sure they are loose-fitting to prevent heat rashes. Onesies are also a staple. Throw in a cap or wide-brimmed hat in case you bring your little one out. Opt for 100% cotton material for breathability.
• Breeze. Open the windows to let the air circulate around your home. Good ventilation is important to clear your home of warm, stuffy air. Babies become irritable when they are hot. Use an electric fan for an artificial breeze or turn on air-conditioning on really hot days.
• Baby gear. Switch to summer-friendly baby gear, like strollers and carriers. Look for breathable (preferably mesh) materials, less padding and sun protection features (like a sun shade or umbrella). Of course, be sure the new gears pass baby safety standards. Also change your baby’s crib beddings to fit the summer weather. You may need to keep the heavy quilt and fleece blankets for next season.
• Bath. A tepid water bath is refreshing on a hot day. Give your child a bath once a day to wash out the dirt and perspiration accumulated during the day. Try to use less baby products like oil and lotion because it adds a sticky feeling. Cornstarch powder may help control moisture on their skin, though.
• Avoid sun exposure. Babies are usually stuck indoors for their own protection. In case you decide to bring your baby outdoors, make sure it’s not between 10AM – 3PM, when the sun can cause the greatest skin damage. Avoid direct exposure to the sun, even inside a car. Use baby-friendly sun protection.
Hot weather management is easy when you keep these tips mind. Summer time won’t last long, so it is best to enjoy it without worrying about how to help your baby stay cool on a hot summer day.
Babies are more vulnerable to heat compared to adults. They can suffer from a number of heat exposure consequences at a faster rate, and more severe than what we usually expect. This is due to the fact that the baby’s unique anatomic components and physiologic coping mechanisms are not yet well-developed. Therefore, it is […]
Exercise is good for the body. When the weather warms up, many people want to get outside and get moving. Runners and other athletes train and work out in the outdoors. It’s important to practice some prudence, though, as you exercise out of doors. Prevention Is Key As you get ready for an outdoor workout on a […]
Children will always look forward to summer, when they can spend long relaxing days under the heat of the sun. Long before school is over, children may already have in mind certain activities they want to do. To add to that, parents may also plan out beach vacations and other fun activities for the entire […]
People love their pets and many treat them more like children than animals. If you have a dog, the summer months are the perfect time to take it with you on vacation, to the beach or to the park. Here’s how to protect your dog from summer heat, whether in the backyard or away from […]
Skin care for babies has undeniably created a big industry. When you go out to purchase just a baby shampoo, you will find yourself browsing through an aisle filled with so many varieties to choose from. Babies have very delicate skin, and the best way to take care of it is to avoid exposure to […]